Monday, April 27, 2015

Turning over a new leaf (or two, or three)

Recently, I've found myself bombarded with new commitments, schoolwork, and a variety of health issues. Thinking back now, I simply put too much on my plate all at once. In my enthusiasm to get Star Lace Dreams up and running the proper way, I exhausted myself. Now here I am, barely making assignments, commissions jammed up because I took too many and had to rearrange quite a few because they all had different deadlines, and dreading the approach of Colossalcon because I know I don't have enough things done.
So I've decided to step back a bit, slow down, and relax. I'm going to do what I can, and I need to focus on my health because all of this stress isn't helping at all. Colossalcon looms over me like a dreaded storm cloud and I know I need to cut down if I'm going to weather it (and possibly even *gasp* enjoy it!) Here are the things that are changing on my to-do list:

1. I most likely will not be participating in the arts and crafts fair at Colossalcon this year. Instead, I'd like to take my time on the items I make and actually focus on stocking up the store.
2. My Hobbit print will be pushed to a release in July. My artists have their own schoolwork to worry about, and we've come to the conclusion that we'd rather not rush this, because even if we somehow finished it tonight, there would be no way the fabric printers would get everything worked out in time.
3. I will be focusing solely on just a few outfits for the Colossalcon fashion show. By omitting the Hobbit coordinates, I'm down to three, and am adding one or two more with premade items to fill in the space.
4. I will be re-opening for commissions after the first week of June but will not be taking as many. My fiance has encouraged me to work less and sew more for myself over the break and make this the "Summer of Sierra." I'm nervous because this is the first time since I lived with my parents that I've allowed someone else to provide my support but I'm hoping it will allow my health to improve and allow me to get a better grip on what I want Star Lace Dreams to become.
5. I want to rediscover what lolita means to me. Recently I've been doubting my love of lolita, and questioning what keeps me in the fashion. I've realized that I've lost touch with the lifestyle aspects that I originally fell in love with, and it hit me that I hardly ever wear lolita anymore. I used to put it on whenever I could but now I find myself slaving over three or four OTT coords a year for meetups. I want to slow down. I want to sip rose tea and spend hours meticulously decorating cookies. I want to catch up on every show that people tell me to watch that I never have the time for, I want to have the afternoons available to me so I can learn to ribbon embroider. I want to be a princess in the modern world once more. I'm tired of being caught up in the race for more likes and reblogs. I just want to breath again.

To everyone who is patiently awaiting their commissions, I thank you. School will be over on May 5 and I will finally be able to finish everything I need to.
When Colossalcon is over, expect a fresh new look and a more solid business strategy. I'm going to come back stronger than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment